Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bon Iver Review

I absolutely love this band.

Bon Iver is an indie folk band who first formed back in 2007. The bands debut album "For Emma, Forever Ago" was released in 2007 and includes the tracks "Flumes," "The Wolves (Act 1 and 11)," "Skinny Love" and "Lump Sun." In June 2011 Bon Iver released their second album "Bon Iver." This album proved to be equally as successful as their first, with over 100,000 copies sold during its first week in the US alone.

If you like bands such as Fleet Foxes, Tallest Man On Earth, and Iron & Wine, than this is a band for you.

I have been hoping to see Bon Iver live for a number of years now, so when I was fortunate to get tickets to their Manchester gig I was ecstatic. Having got there early enough, I was able to get prime standing position (3 people from the very front) and boy was it amazing.

I can say without any doubt that this is by far one of the best live performances I have ever seen. The vocal and musical ability demonstrated by the band was breathtaking. The set list for their manchester performance was; Perth, Minnesota (WI), Brackett (WI), Towers, Flume, Creature Fear, Hinnom (TX), Wash, Woods, Calgary, Blood Bank, Holocene, Lisbon (OH), Beth/rest. For the encore, they performed; Skinny Love, and For Emma. (I was a little disappointed they didn't perform their hit single "Wolves").

With all nine members in their positions, this hour and half gig was everything I hoped. True to their album, the sounds created by the band were intense and highly emotional. Justin Vernon was fabulous - a great character who had the entire arena crowd eating from the palm of his hand. He put everything into each song, and created awesome banter between tracks,

I can't stress how truly magnificent this show was. If you have the chance please check them out - they are definitely worth it. For me the highlight of the show was Bon Iver performing skinny Love and Flume - two great singles, and personal favourites of my mine.






No comments: